Moonrocks, the origin of moon rocks (the weed kind) is a bit fuzzy, but rumors abound that the dispensary Starbudz760 first concocted them, with legendary West Coast rapper Kurupt popularizing the product and trademarking his own version called Kurupt Moonrock.
Moon rocks are a THC megazord: They are cannabis buds dipped in hash oil, then rolled in kief. Historically GSC is used, but any strain will suffice.
How potent are moon rocks?
Though the potency of each batch of moon rocks varies and depends on how it’s made and who produces it, the general consensus is that they hover around 50% THC. For reference, most flower averages around 20% THC. Each hit is damn near its own experience.
And the high? Oh buddy, oh pal, don’t even get me started on the high. Starting in the head and eventually spreading throughout the entire body, down to your toes, a moon rock high is a slow burn that will make you realize you’ve reached a mountaintop that you may not be ready to climb.
I once smoked a gram of moon rocks at 5pm, and when I woke up the next morning at 7 am, I was still on Mars waiting for the train back to Earth.
Pros and cons of smoking moon rocks
- They will get you super duper high
- Cost effective—just like dabs, a little bit goes a long way
- Great for medical patients or other folks who want a high dose of THC
- They’re a fun novelty and good conversation-starter
- They will get you super duper high (not always a good thing for everyone)
- They’re messy—most people smoke them in glass; you can roll them in a joint or blunt, but don’t put them in a grinder
- Keep them in a cool, dry place; you don’t want them getting all melty on you
How to make your own moon rocks at home
Though moon rocks are historically made with GSC flower and/or GSC concentrate, you can make your own moon rocks however you’d like. All you need is the following:
- Buds of your favorite strain
- Your favorite liquidy concentrate or hash oil
- Big ol’ bowl of kief from the bottom of your grinder
- Tongs (or any grabbing/pinching apparatus)
- Liquid dropper
Grab a nug or two of your favorite flower. I suggest using one of the denser nugs, as it’ll hold the final cannabis cocktail together better.
Grab your favorite concentrate. If it’s super thick and tough to manipulate, heat it up until it’s a little liquidy
Then use a dropper to completely cover the buds without having to dip them in the concentrate. Oversaturation of the bud will lead to longer drying times and difficulty lighting it.
Use tongs to grab the bud and roll it in kief until the entire nug is covered in crystal goodness.
Let your moon rocks dry until they’re ready for action, then smoke it up.